Originating from Hainan, China, Hainanese Chicken Rice, a very popular dish, was brought over to Singapore by immigrants and have evolved to what we see being sold in almost every corner of Singapore! Tender, succulent chicken served with fragrant rice that has been cooked in chicken stock, accompanied with a soy, sesame oil dressing as well as a spicy homemade chilli sauce makes for a very, very satisfying meal.
Chicken rice recipe adapted from I am a Feeder and Chilli sauce recipe adapted from Feast to the World
Ingredients (Serves 2)
For the chicken:
2 free-range whole chicken legs
Bunch of spring onions
2 pandan leaves, tied into a knot
4″ knob of ginger, peeled and sliced
Water (see method)
Large bowl of ice water
For the rice:
1.5 cups of rice
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
2-3″ knob of ginger, peeled and finely minced
2-3 tbsps vegetable oil
1-2 tbsps Sesame oil
1 pandan leaves, tied into a knot
For the chilli sauce:
6 large fresh red chillies
2 small clove garlic
5cm fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
1 tsp sugar
Half a cucumber, sliced
Garlic chilli sauce (above)
1. Rub the chicken legs all over with the sea salt, then place into a large pot with the spring onions, pandan leaves, ginger and add enough water to cover the chicken legs completely.
2. Bring the pot to the boil over a medium-high heat, then turn it right down to a simmer and skim off the scum that floats to the top. Don’t allow the stock to boil again or it’ll turn cloudy. Simmer for around 20-25 mins, removing any more scum from the top. When you chicken is cooked, remove immediately and plunge into the bowl of ice water. Strain the stock and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, heat the vegetable oil over a medium heat, then add the finely minced ginger, garlic and fry until fragrant – be careful not to let the garlic burn. Add the washed rice and stir, making sure the rice is well coated, the ginger and garlic distributed and the grains are beginning to stick to the bottom of the pan. Add about 1-2 tbsps sesame oil and stir well until evenly distributed.
4. Pour the rice mixture into the rice cooker and cook it as per normal, using the chicken stock instead of water
4. To make the chilli sauce, put all ingredients into a blender and pulse into a paste. Season with salt to taste.
5. To serve, plate the rice, cold chicken, sliced cucumber, achar and garlic chilli sauce. Mix 1 tbsp of soy sauce and 1 tbsp of sesame oil and drizzle it over the chicken.