Foodbuzz

Wednesday 30 November 2011

Cinnamon Banana Courgette Bread

Pin It!
It's been a long time since I've picked up Harry Eastwood's red velvet chocolate heartache. The last time was when i baked the aubergine brownie, an odd ingredient one might think but believe me it's actually really good! :)


So when it was time to show some #squashlove, that first place i turned to was of course this book! I was intending to post this recipe at the beginning of this month but as i made an impromptu trip home, i had to put it on hold for a bit. So here it is, on the last day in nov... a banana bread that's also filled with the goodness of courgettes or zucchini and nuts! The texture is a wee bit spongy but it tasted much better than when first made a banana courgette bread using another recipe.
Adapted from Harry Eastwood Red Velvet Chocolate Heatache
Ingredients

140g banana (peeled weight)
2 medium free-range eggs
100g golden caster sugar
150g topped, tailed, peeled and finely grated courgettes/zucchinis
150g plain flour 
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon 
1/2 tsp mixed spice
25g finely chopped brazil nuts
25g finely chopped pecans


Method
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas 4. Brush the inside of a loaf tin with a little vegetable oil
2) Mash the banana thoroughly with a fork
3) Whisk the eggs and sugar for a full 3 mins until pale and light. Whisk in the mashed-up banana until completely incorporated. Add the courgette and beat again.
4) Add the flour, baking powder, salt, vanilla extract, cinnamon and mixed spice, and whisk again until completely blended.
5) Mix in most of the brazil nuts and pecans and pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Sprinkle the remaining nuts over the top and bake in the middle of the oven for 45 mins.
6) Remove the cake from the oven and leave it to cool in the tin for 10 minutes.

8 comments:

  1. Very unusual, I have never tried zucchini in any dessert, neither have I tried aubergine but I have tried carrots and beets:) Very curious about these

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of this bread! The ingredients used are something I haven't tried before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it when the recipe says bread but the shape looks like cake (you know not the loaf of brad). I simply get excited. Haha. I made zucchini muffins before and that was so delicious so I'm sure this is a good one too! What's Brazil nuts? I need to take a look at that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing wrong with a spongy bread like this. In fact, I like it spongy. Squash, bananas and brazil nuts - what a great combination of ingredients! Looks excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone.! :)

    Three cookies: I love experimenting with unusual ingredients as I'm pleasantly surprised by some of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bread looks great and I love the green courgette spots (I never peel courgettes, I like the crunchy skin). You have almost convinced me to give a second chance to Harry Eastwood's book. The only cake I have tried was a total failure and even her style as well as certain photos are a bit irritating... I must admit however most recipes sound tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! I am a big fan of zucchini in desserts. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sissi: haha, i would have to agree that her style need some getting used to!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...