Foodbuzz

Monday 27 February 2012

Chicken and Sweetcorn Soup

Pin It!
I love sweetcorn in all forms! Grilled, steamed, in salads, in soups, popcorn and even straight out of the can! When I was much younger, I used to place a can of creamed corn in the fridge, opened it and eat it straight away. I know it's not the most sophisticated way of eating it but it tasted great! somewhat like ice cream!
One of my fave is the Chicken and Sweetcorn soup, one dish that is usually ordered when we dine out as a family. Being away from home, I seem to have forgotten about it until Lisa from My Lemony Kitchen posted it recently. I've no idea why I didn't think of making it earlier but am glad that I finally did! Initially, I wanted to follow strictly to Lisa's recipe but I couldn't find creamed corn anywhere!  I guess it should be sold in Chinatown but I didn't get a chance to drop by so I decided to come up with my own recipe. The husband loved it so it's a winner!
It's a rather long winded recipe and I decided to do everything from scratch, that being the stock and poaching the chicken, all on the same day. It was well worth the effort though! Feel free to use pre-prepared stock or left over chicken.  For a vegetarian version, just leave out the chicken and it'll taste great too!


Inspired by My Lemony Kitchen


Ingredients (Makes about 3 big bowls)
Stock & Chicken
1 medium carrot, roughly chopped
2 sticks celery, roughly chopped
1 spring onion/scallions, roughly chopped
1 medium onion, quartered
3 cloves garlic, smashed
8 whole black peppercorns
2 bay leaves
1 litre of water
3 chicken breasts or chicken thighs

Soup
1 can sweetcorn
50g frozen corn
2 eggs, whisked
3 tbsp corn flour mixed with 6 tbsp of water
Sesame Oil
Salt 
White pepper
Sliced spring onions and chilli, to garnish(Optional)


Method
Stock & Chicken
1) Place all stock ingredients except the chicken in pot and bring it to a boil.
2) Once it comes to a boil, turn down the heat and  simmer for at least an hour. You may need to top up the water.
3) Add chicken to the stock, bring it to boil, lower the heat and let it simmer for another 15 mins or until chicken is cooked. (Poaching the chicken in the stock adds even more flavour)
4) Once this is done, remove from the heat. Shred the chicken and set aside. Carefully pour the stock through a sieve and squeeze the day lights out of the vegetables. 


Soup
5) Pour the stock back into the pot, add canned and frozen corn and bring back to a boil.
6) Stir in the corn flour mixture.
7) Slowly pour in the egg whilst stirring the soup.
8) Lower the heat and simmer for another 1-2 mins until egg is cooked.
9) Season to taste
10) Place shredded chicken into the bowls, scoop soup into bowls, garnish with spring onions and chilli, drizzle some sesame oil and serve.





30 comments:

  1. It's inspiring me to whip some up this week - I love sweetcorn soup too. It was a singleton staple food, but have forgotten about it since home-cooked meals became the norm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You should make it soon! Am sure all everyone will enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. Now that you mention I haven't had creamed corn in years, I forgot it existed. Its not available here but its pretty standard in NZ, maybe other British colonies (but not Britain!!!). Now I am craving this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll drop by chinatown soon to see if I'm able to find it there. Hope you'll make it and enjoy it soon!

      Delete
  3. Humble yet satisfying bowl of soup.... Gorgeous colours
    Thanks for the shout out Sylvia :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! Thanks for reminding me of this wonderful soup!

      Delete
  4. What a heartwarming soup! Since I have the stock in the freezer, I could whip this up really quick. Love all of the layers of flavor and then topping it off with a drizzle of sesame oil. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this looks so good - perfect comfort food! I love your photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A marvelous soup! That is something I'd love to have for lunch.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am craving for this soup right now! Sniff! Sniff! Comforting and soothing...Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Where do you get the red handled mini bakers in those picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are from Le Creuset and are easily available online or that departmental stores. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  9. Dear Sylvia,

    This soup looks delicious and I think I've seen some more decadent versions with crab meat too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh yes! The version with crab meat is gorgeous!

      Delete
  10. The recipe says 1 sprig of onion, should that be thyme perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only had spring onions(scallions) so I decided to throw that in. :) Anything to add flavour to the soup. :)

      Delete
  11. I remember seeing this in Lisa's blog ! Though this looks simple, it is actually tedious to make this soup esp when you made the base from scratch. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to make it from scratch if time permits as it's well worth the effort.

      Delete
  12. Ultimate comfort food. Thank you for reminding me how much I love this soup.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember Lisa's post about this delicious corn soup! Sylvia, I love your soup in these cute little red soup bowls!!!! What a beautiful post, and I'm loving any form of sweet corns too! My finger tips are cold from sitting in this cold room right now... and this soup totally make me reached out to the screen and warm up my fingers and body...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nami.... and i think you should turn on the heating in that room. ;)

      Delete
  14. Oh God, I adore sweetcorn soup....
    This looks fantastic , I have to make this sometime soon...

    ReplyDelete
  15. In India, we get the most amazing sweet corn soup. This recipe looks great. I will have to try this recipe, everyone in the house will love it for sure. love the red bowls. I have similar ones.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh this looks gorgeous, this is one of my favorite soups! Looks hearty and delicious! Hugs, Terra

    ReplyDelete
  17. I also use to eat creamed corn from the can, those were the childhood days.. :P love this type of soup with egg.. can be my comfort food anytime. & love your beautiful casserole bowl.. i want a set too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Perfect for colder weather, lovely, rich and hearty!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...