Firstly, if you haven't ever had speculoo spread, please try to get yourself some as t's really so yummy! Belgian Speculoo is a kind of caramelised, spiced biscuit. The spread has the consistency of peanut butter but instead of using peanuts, these biscuits are used instead! How great does that sound?! Another one of those spread where eating out of the jar is the best way of enjoying it! haha
There is however one mighty big problem of getting my hands on some. The biscuits are easily available here in the UK but the spread hasn't made their way here yet. I've no idea why but the closest place to get it would be from France, Belgium or Holland. It's also available as Biscoff spread or cookie butter in the US, so I'll definitely buy myself a whole load when I next visit these countries.
Anyway, because I had limited supply of this delicious spread, i only made 6 of these very gorgeous crispy on the top, moist on the insides muffins. The addition of the spread gave the top this almost biscuity and crumbly texture. So this is a muffin, biscuit, crumble all rolled into one and makes for a great breakfast treat in the morning!
Ingredients(Adapted from the girl who ate everything)
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup + 2 tablespoon light olive oil
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
100g speculoo spread
1 big apple or 2 small ones (diced)
1) Preheat oven to 180deg C/350 deg F. Line a 6 hole muffin tin with paper cases.
2) Sieve flour, baking powder and bicarb of soda into a bowl
3) In another bowl, cream sugar, 1/3 cup of olive oil and egg. Add Speculoo spread and mix until smooth.
4) Add dry ingredients and mix until combined. Add this point, add more olive oil if the mixture is too dry. Note: The batter will be pretty thick.
5) Add apples and stir through.
6) Spoon into paper cases and bake for around 20 mins until a skewer comes out clean.