Foodbuzz

Sunday 5 August 2012

Kuih Dadar/ Ketayap or Pandan Crepe with sweet coconut filling

Pin It!
I love all kinds of kuih (bite size desserts found in Singapore and Malaysia) and thought that they were usually quite tedious to make. However, thanks to Lisa of From My Lemony Kitchen, I learn that the Kuih Dadar was pretty easy and straightforward. It was indeed easy but alas, I lacked the crepe making skill that was essential in this recipe as you can see, my crepes were a little thick. I didn't have palm sugar(gula melaka) so I replaced this with brown sugar hence the colour of the filling isn't as dark as it should have been. On the whole, it tasted good but could definitely be better! I will have to practise making crepes, get my hands on some gula melaka and am sure they'll look as perfect of Lisa's original version! Soon enough anyway, Practise makes perfect yah?? ;)


Recipe from 'From My Lemony Kitchen'



Pandan Juice:
5 pandan leaves
1/4 cup water
1. Process the pandan leaves and water in food pracessor.
2. Pass through siever and retain juice

Crepe Batter:
120g plain flour
1 egg
300ml coconut milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pandan juice above
2-3 tablespoons of water as required.
1. Mix the above ingredients in a mixing bowl to a smooth batter
2. Heat a non stick frying pan (small size if you dont have crepe pan).
3. Spray with some oil.
4. Use a small ladle or 1/4 cup, scoop the batter and pour onto the center of the hot frying pan.
5. Using a swirl motion, quickly cover the surface and form a thin layer of crepe.
6. When the edges starts to come off the side of the pan... gently slide or using a flat wooden spatula, remove onto a plate. 



Sweet Coconut filling:
(measurement is just an indication... adjust to suit taste)
90g palm sugar
1 knotted pandan leaves
1-1 1/2 cup dessicated coconut
1 teaspoon cornflour
50ml water
1. Melt the palm sugar in a pan with knotted pandan leaves. Add in dessicated coconut and stir until well coated.






Putting Crepe together: (Step by Step pictures can be found at From My Lemony Kitchen)
1. Using smooth side up
2. Place 1 tablespoon of the filling
3. Roll to cover filling
4. Fold in the two sides
5. Roll
6. Crepe is ready ...

18 comments:

  1. Sylvia, as soon as I saw this post pop up on my side bar, I just had to drop by to see what's cooking and boy oh boy am I delighted!

    Your Pandan Crepe sounds simply heavenly. I'm so intrigued I must check out the step by step instructions.

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am glad you dropped by so quickly! :) Yes, check out the step by step and a much better version can be found over there. :)

      Delete
  2. What an unusual crêpe recipe! I haven't had anything with pandan yet, so I would love to taste these. They look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sissi! Is there a chinatown over there? They should carry pandan leaves i think.

      Delete
  3. Hi
    Your "Kuih Ketayap" makes me stop by to your blog as I was curious who is making Kuih Ketayap........ So long I have not eaten this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by. I haven't eaten it in ages too so I had to resort to making them myself! haha

      Delete
  4. your kuih ketayap looks just as delish! didn't know it's quite easy to make. but you are right, practice always make it perfect. good to know that pandan leaves are available in UK, makes lot of difference than using essence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! Will have to practise some more and yes, i was pretty happy to find pandan leaves over here and i always have some in freezer now.

      Delete
  5. Wow! This brought back memories of school days. I'd forgotten all about kuih ketayap. Made them repeatedly for school exams. Yours look good. Lovely green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made it for your exams? They didn't teach us to make kuih at school. :(
      and thanks for the compliments. I really like the colour too!

      Delete
  6. Thank you Sylvia for the mention :)
    Your kuih looks yummy...and dont worry on the crepe just yet, as long as we satisfy that craving, its good to go :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! haha yah, it definitely satisfied the craving but i still want to get it spot on! ;)

      Delete
  7. Ooh, I love pandan! I'm not very familiar with Singaporean or Malaysian cuisine, but I remember one of my colleagues making little pancakes with pandan custard filling, sort of like an inverted version of this. They look so tasty. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give this a go and you might like it too!

      Delete
  8. I do remember Lisa's. You did a wonderful job, Sylvia! I haven't tried pandan leaves yet. I just saw pandan leave chiffon cake from one blogger and I'm craving for pandan leave flavor! Beautiful photography, by the way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nami! I love the flavour of pandan and I hope you'll get to try it soon!

      Delete
  9. I have no idea what pandan leaves are or how they taste, but after seeing this recipe, I'd love to try them! I love crepes and coconut so these already are off to a great start! It took me a while to get those thin crepes, but once I did it was like riding a bike. From the looks of these, you are just a smidgen away from perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stumbled on this from google. I am a Singaporean too but living in Melbourne. Need to try this!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...