Foodbuzz

Wednesday 14 December 2011

Lentil and Chestnut Soup

Pin It!
Am still in a soup frenzy after enjoying the delicious Sweet Potato and Chorizo Soup and having seen this on the menu in St James Tavern recently(more on this in another post), I decided to cook it myself instead of ordering it as it can't be that difficult right? Well, I was partially right as I bought fresh chestnuts so peeling them were quite a chore! Other than that, this velvety and divine tasting soup was easy peasy and the husband loved it!! :)
Adapted from Nigella.com (serves 2-3)
Ingredients

125g red lentils
150g cooked chestnuts 
800ml vegetable stock
1 carrot
1 small onion
half leek
2 tablespoons olive oil
fresh coriander, chopped
Single Cream to serve


Method
1.Finely chop the onion, leek and carrot.
2.Heat the oil in a pan, add the chopped vegetables and let sweat and soften in the oil.
3.Add the lentils and stir, then add the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer until lentils are very soft (about 20 minutes).
4.Add the chestnuts and simmer for a further 15 minutes or so.
5.Liquidise until smooth adding as much water as you need.
6.Whenever you want to serve it reheat, and sprinkle each full bowl of soup with coriander and lace with cream.

11 comments:

  1. Sooooooo CREAMY! I love all the flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Peeling chestnuts are really a chore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love soups (It's my second favorite thing about winter!) Your soup looks so cozy and warm and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had soup made from all the ingredients you mention except chestnuts. Trying to imagine the taste and texture that chestnuts would bring, should be great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a soup recently with fresh chestnuts and you are so right that it was quite a chore! However, the result was worth it as it looks like this soup was well worth. Love all of the healthy ingredients! Gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to try them some weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks Delicious!!!!
    Creamy and rich, this is really on healthy and yummy bowl of soup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never cooked chestnuts, so your recipe looks very intriguing. Actually I even have no idea how they taste in a savoury dish! (I have always tasted them sweet or grilled). The soup looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chstnut! Oh I love chestnut... such a nice addition to the lentil soup.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...